Archaeological Report on the Walsall Town Wharf
- Ref No: 1402
- Repository: Walsall Local History Centre
- Date: 1995
- Creator: Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit
- Description: This collection has been arranged into two series; the photographic material and on-site produced plans and recording. Items carry a WTW number, which is the reference given to them by BFAU.
- Admin History: Between Nov 1994 and Apr 1995, the Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit carried out a desk-based assessment, building recording, trial trenching and a watching brief on behalf of Chartwell Land Development Ltd in advance of redevelopment at the Walsall Town Wharf.
The Wharf area covers; Park St, Marsh St, Wisemore, Wolverhampton St, Townend St and Marsh Lane. The purpose was to show the significance and survival of the below-ground archaeology and to provide a full record of the standing buildings due for demolition.
In Apr 1995 some further work was done, both building evaluation and trench excavation. However, there is no written report and much documentation is missing, so it is likely, while BFAU gave the work a separate reference code, it is tied in with the Final Report from the pervious phase (see ACC 1401).
- Extent: 1 box
- Level: Fonds
- Related Material: ACC 1401; 1403
- For more information contact: Walsall Archives / Local History Centre