Archaeological Report on the Walsall Town Wharf
- Ref No: 1401
- Repository: Walsall Local History Centre
- Date: 1994 - 1996
- Creator: Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit
- Description: This collection has been arranged into three series; the reports and other documentation, the photographic material and on-site produced plans and recording. Items carry a WTW number, which is the reference given to them by BFAU.
- Admin History: Between Nov 1994 and Apr 1995, the Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit carried out a desk-based assessment, building recording, trial trenching and a watching brief on behalf of Chartwell Land Development Ltd in advance of redevelopment at the Walsall Town Wharf.
The Wharf area covers; Park St, Marsh St, Wisemore, Wolverhampton St, Townend St and Marsh Lane. The purpose was to show the significance and survival of the below-ground archaeology and to provide a full record of the standing buildings due for demolition.
Five trenches were dug to evaluate the below-ground archaeology and proved there was extensive disturbance to the archaeological deposits, though some early 19th century activity was discernable. The building survey covered the site of the Old Grand Theatre, the Red Lion Public House, The ABC Cinema, formerly Her Majesty's Theatre, a canal-side warehouse and many other buildings in Park St, Marsh St and Station St.
- Extent: 1 box
- Level: Fonds
- Related Material: ACC 1402, 1403
- For more information contact: Walsall Archives / Local History Centre