Archaeological Brief on the Croft St Industrial Estate Redevelopment, Willenhall
- Ref No: 1400
- Repository: Walsall Local History Centre
- Date: 2000
- Creator: Birmingham Field Archaeological Unit
- Description: This collection has been arranged into three series; the reports and other documentation, the photographic material and on-site produced plans and recording. Items carry a CSW number, which is the reference given to it by BFAU
- Admin History: In 2000, the Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit carried out a desk-based assessment and a trial trenching and salvage evaluation on behalf of Stepnell Ltd at Croft St, Willenhall, ahead of the construction of a new medical centre.
The level of the natural sub-soil appeared to show significant levelling of the site prior to the building of the Stafford St Brass Works and Foundry. Eight trenches were dug, with virtually nothing found from the medieval period. Part of the site was still fields up until the later 19th century. Archaeology found represented the 19th century and an air raid shelter from the Second World War.
- Extent: 1 box
- Level: Fonds
- For more information contact: Walsall Archives / Local History Centre